Monday, July 4, 2016

Great Things Are Afoot!

Does it bother you that when you put your socks in the washer or dryer, there is a magic doorway somewhere nearby that you can't see, where single socks escape through, going off on adventures that you don't get to go on?


It does me. My socks have probably been places I have never been and never will go. Some other dimension that's way more fun than this one. And it's the adventurous one of the twins that go, the other one content to stay home, or too scared to venture out.

Of course this other secret dimension could just be the black hole where pens, gloves, scissors, stitch markers and plastic container lids, go to die. There are probably portals throughout my house not just in the laundry room.

Then of course there's Dr. Who, who apparently likes to steal half made sweaters as well as socks. And yes, I'm aware he's called "The Doctor" and not "Dr. Who" but if I said "The Doctor" you might think George Clooney or Patrick Dempsey and they can afford their own socks and half made sweaters. And if they're lurking in my house, then they should just come out and face me and deal with the consequences. (Big smile).

There's an episode on The Dick Van Dyke Show where the gang goes to an auction and Sally (played by Rose Marie) looks around and picks up a vase and says how she can turn it into a lamp. And then after she's said this about various vases, she picks up a lamp and talks about turning it into a vase.

We have this sock yarn that's like that. It's a scarf, that you can unravel and turn into socks. You can either unravel all of it and rewind it, or knit straight from the scarf. Or you can just leave it as a scarf. and use other yarn for your socks. Or you can buy two and keep one as a scarf and make matching socks with the other. And then you wear them together and someone will say "ooh, where did you get your matching scarf and sock set?" And you can say  you made it yourself because that's only half a lie which means you are telling the truth.

Why they did it that way has something to do with the dying process. Which I don't quite understand but you can ask Lori because she knows everything.

Honestly, I'm having trouble with this. I can see unraveling a sweater that no longer fits, because you love the yarn and want to remake it up again. I totally get that. It's something in my mind if I ever shrink and become a supermodel. It's one of the neat advantages of yarn.

I also understand not having yarn and not being able to afford yarn and unraveling something so you can use the yarn to knit something else. I get that.

I knew a woman who loved to take cast off clothes and recut them and turn them into something else. Not only was it a great way to recycle, and to make inexpensive clothing, but it was a creative use of her talents. I don't have that ability but I admire it.

However I still have trouble with the concept of buying a scarf to unravel and make socks. But just because I have trouble wrapping my head around unraveling a scarf to make socks, doesn't mean it shouldn't be done. The colors are pretty and the dying process will make lovely socks. So I say, go for it. Especially when the yarn is so inexpensive.

Yes people. It's sock yarn week! I know some of you were hoping we would do that sometime. Sure you can buy a bag of socks at Wal-mart for less than a cup of coffee, but what's the fun in that? Socks are wonderful portable projects - perfect for summer when you don't want that big afghan lying in your lap. The dog and the drooling toddler are hot enough. It's a great opportunity to do cables without real commitment, unless you choose a sock pattern so complicated you end up committed.. No one ever says "do these socks make me look fat?" No one has too many socks. And you can use sock yarn to make shawls.

I'm expecting that these sock yarns won't last long. Please note. Only these sock yarns are on sale. I just got a picture of women banging on the doors until we open them, running over each other to get to the sock yarns, and screaming at us because the sock yarn they picked up isn't 75% off. Oh, hold it. I'm not here first thing Monday morning. By the time I get to work, the carnage will be over.



75% OFF

Regia Creativ
75% superwash wool, 25% polyamide
100g (scarf you turn into socks)



Regular Price: $20.00
Sale Price: $5.00

Online Supersocke Jupiter
75% wool, 25% polyamide
100g/420m


Regular Price: $17.00
Sale Price: $4.25

Balade
75% wool, 25% polyamide
100g/420m


Regular Price: $12.00
Sale Price: $3.00

Universal Yarn Pace
75% superwash wool, 25% polyamide
50g/200m

Regular Price: $6.00
Sale Price: $1.50

Patons Kroy Socks
75% wool, 25% nylon
50g/152m/166yds


Regular Price: $7.80
Sale Price: $1.95

Online Linie 2 Supersocke Silk Color
55% superwash merino 20% seide 25% polyamid
50g/200m


Regular Price: $10.00
Sale Price: $2.50

Online Linie 2 Supersocke Silk
55% superwash merino 20% seide 25% polyamid
50g/200m



Regular Price: $9.50
Sale Price: $2.38

Diamond Luxury Footloose
90% superwash merino, 10% nylon
50g/175m




Regular Price: $7.00
Sale Price: $1.75


Posted by Anna Maria Junus (happy employee who will probably edit this line after she arrives to work following the carnage.)







No comments:

Post a Comment