Monday, August 9, 2021

Adventures of a Mobile Store




















It may not look like much to you but that is a new solar panel on the roof. "But Lori, I thought you already had solar on your rig." I did. Which brings me to an interesting story.

July 21rst I was driving from Wednesday night's market in Wetaskiwin to Camrose, as is my weekly habit, looking forward to a peaceful sleep before a morning spent adventuring around Camrose before setting up for the market in the afternoon. Shortly after rounding Justamere Farms' corner, I started to hear an unusual racket. My first instinct was to assume that my pegboard wall that holds the needles and hooks had decided to unlock itself, which it does occasionally, and that I was not going to get that leisurely evening of Facebook and YouTube viewing that I was looking forward to but instead spend the rest of my evening cleaning up after the earthquake that was happening. Then, just before the Gwynne hill, something caught my eye in the driver's side mirror. It was my solar panel flying off into the middle of the road and bouncing a couple of times before coming to rest on the dotted line!

Thankfully, no vehicles were directly behind me! But before I could pull over and collect it myself, a kind gentleman in a van, who had seen the whole thing happen, stopped and was moving it out of the line of traffic. He offered to put it in his van and drive it up to the rv for me and, as grateful as I was for the offer, I graciously declined because I needed to express my negative energy toward the panel as I hauled it back to the rv myself and get it out of my system before I got back behind the wheel.

I initially just threw it onto the floor of the motorhome because I have no outside storage that could accommodate it, but it was obvious that it couldn't stay there. I mean, how could the customers shop around it! Rather than inconvenience them, I made it impossible to use my washroom. That thing just fit into my tiny rv bathroom but only because I could get it in at an angle with a 1/2" to spare to shut the door. It stayed there until the Saturday afternoon once I finished four more markets where I had to 'rough it' like all the other vendors and use the public washrooms.

Fast forward to August 8 and while I'm sitting in church, the lovely gentleman from SunFrog Solar who sold me (but did not install) the original panel installed this lovely replacement so I don't have to worry about driving around just to boost my house battery in order to have enough power to run my till, make coffee, etc. every work day. For those of you who are curious about the initial installers, I am perfectly happy with all the other work they have done on the rv and therefore am not going to put anything negative into the universe because I chose to have someone other than the guy who knew the system backwards and forwards put it on my roof. Some lessons are hard.

One other thing I learned through this experience, I really don't need the solar power, but it sure is nice to have.

Now for the part you were really looking for this week - this week's yarn selection. The store will be filled with James C. Brett's Marble in all its incarnations: Chunky, DK, Baby, and Baby Chunky, as well as Universal Major and a few other self striping / patterning acrylic yarns. These yarns work well with a number of my patterns, making it obvious what I think of them. 😉

written by Lori, grateful TCL owner, who is over the moon to have her solar power back!

No comments:

Post a Comment