Monday, March 30, 2020

Creativity and baking

So ... who else has been baking up a storm?

We're all creative people here, and we all know that being creative is what keeps us sane.

I was at the post office last week and ran into a retired businessman I know who said he had been trying to convince the man who had bought his business to close during the stay-at-home order because he knows the business is not essential. I said I was at the post office because I was delivering sanity to a customer so I know mine is an essential business. He agreed because his wife is one of us. He knows  the consequences of NOT having something to do to relieve the stress, especially right now.

But even with all the lovely yarn I am surrounded by on a daily basis, there are times I just can't knit or crochet another stitch. Sacrilege, I know!
So Mom and I have been scouring the internet (me) and hard copy books (Mom) for new recipes - mostly breads - that can be made with or without yeast (it was hard to find the first couple of outings to the grocery store) and with or without a bread maker (we have two). We have determined that the bread maker is great for making the dough but it just doesn't make a nice loaf for sandwiches so we throw it into a regular bread pan and into the oven it goes.

We've made regular white bread, coconut flour bread which is more like a pound cake, (if we'd had crushed pineapples to throw over top, they would have made it taste like a Pina Colada cake! Next time 😋) and Irish soda bread so far. We even tried these peanut butter chocolate chip cookies! Sadly, they didn't last long ;) Because of that, we're trying to stay away from the sweet baked treats but when the banana is too ripe even for me and the sour cream is past due, you gotta make a banana loaf and a mahogany cake - and pop them in the freezer immediately! Okay Mom and I shared one piece to make sure it was okay before gifting some to one brother and my mom's 'other daughter'.

So glad I am getting some work done on the rv (sorry, no pictures yet) or I would be needing to buy a new wardrobe after this social isolation thing we're doing.

I don't normally ask for feedback, questions, etc on this blog, but since I no longer get to see everyone at the store, I would love to see what projects you're working on or have finished, or even some of the baking you've been experimenting with just to keep your hands busy. So, please leave your comments below and I will leave you with one more 'recipe' I am going to try next time I can't find yeast. Use this yeast 2:1 compared to regular yeast.

written by Lori, happy TCL owner, who obviously won the recipe race since I have links for all the recipes 😉

4 comments:

  1. I’ve been knitting, scrapbooking, making cards, and gutting my craft room. I also put my cricut machine to use. I even tried a new recipe for WW muffins, but they certainly don’t look the greatest even though they taste ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've been busy. Glad you're keeping yourself sane :)

      Delete
  2. I am enjoying your posts I appreciate you sharing them. I am slowly finishing the pineapple border on my Vintage Lace Afghan and have quite a few partial projects to pick from after.Thanks for the potatoe yeast recipe i am going to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're reading them in my voice, aren't you? Just kidding. I'm suffering from startitis too. At least some of them are new patterns in the making. Keep on baking and 'yarning'!

    ReplyDelete