Monday, May 22, 2017

Signs of the Times

I'm back from Nanaimo. My new house is old, full of character, and almost as cute as my latest grandchild. I have a pear tree, and there's an ocean view from my study window. I found an antique desk that I've placed in front of the window so I can write and look at the view. People wave as they walk by.

Seriously, I am not making this up.

Back here in Lacombe it's Trash to Treasure week. You put things you don't want on your front lawn, people go shopping for free and the following week the city comes along, loads up whatever is left and takes it to the dump.

The timing couldn't have been better for me as I have to be out of my house at the end of the month.

So we put all the furniture that my kids didn't claim, on the front lawn.

And I made a lovely sign. First off I apologized to the residents of Lacombe for the embarrassment of riches on display. I explained that after 30 plus years and 7 kids I was running away and starting a new life as an empty nester and that is why it looks like my house threw up on the front lawn. I said that I had wanted to arrange things like a show room but then it rained on everything and no one wanted to help me, however they now get to dig for treasure and that everything was free. I also put in a stipulation that if anyone used anything to make rockets to the moon or flying dragons that I would not be held responsible for the consequences.

Then I taped the sign to the sectional at the front of the treasures.

My daughter saw the sign, shook her head in mortification and said "you can't get a writer to make a sign." So she made another sign saying "Everything is free." She also added onto her sign an apology for my sign with an arrow pointing to my sign and she taped it next to my sign.

The following morning, we came out of our house to find the cushions on the sectional gone but the sectional still there.

And both signs were gone.

I am not making this up.

Somebody stole the signs. I didn't think to stipulate that the signs were not free. I also didn't take a picture.

I'm thinking now of spending another buck twenty five for poster board, and making a sign asking for the return of my signs. The reward would be anything on my front lawn.

Except for the signs.

*****
This week the sale is on alpaca. Alpacas, like llamas are little camels without humps. It's hard to tell a llama and an alpaca apart except that alpacas are littler and they are bred solely for their fiber, unlike camels and llamas which are expected to work for a living.

So while llamas are toting barges and lifting bales, alpacas get to watch TV and eat chocolate.

Llamas make their own signs for Trash to Treasure week; alpacas just steal other people's signs.

I say we draw straws to see which one of us is the first to ask
one of them to dance.





75% OFF SALE

Diamond Luxury Baby Alpaca Sport
100% Baby Alpaca
100 g/100 m Chunky (5)



Regular Price: $18.00
Sale Price: $4.50

Posted by Anna Maria Junus (happy employee who's back for a couple of weeks, cleaning house and making signs.)

No comments:

Post a Comment