Monday, August 31, 2020

Changing with the Seasons

 How do I know that it's time to start your winter/Christmas projects? The last two weeks have been pretty slow in the pop up store. Either parents are spending all their (extra) money on back to school supplies or gardeners are spending all their time putting up their fruits and veggies by canning or freezing them. Others are getting in their last games of golf or prepping their yards for winter. And all this is happening because there is a chill in the air: the leaves are turning: the grass has slowed its growth to almost nothing. I haven't seen a bunny turning white yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if I did. Take a look at what Mom has done to her garden in the last couple of weeks! All that emptiness has our three freezers and cold room shelves bursting at the seams!


While she's been busy storing up food for the winter, I've been keeping myself busy in the pop up store with my antique sock machine. Almost daily I amaze myself with how perfectly this RV is suited to the mobile store life. When not in use (or while travelling) the sock knitter resides in the washroom. It fits PERFECTLY!



Even the angle of the door appears to be custom made for housing this heavy beast on wheels. And when the RV is stationary, I can bring it out and crank out another tube to which I will later add afterthought toes and heels for custom knit socks. Or maybe I'll sell some of them for people who want a plain vanilla sock blank so they can brag that they finished a pair of socks in just a couple of days. They wouldn't be lying...

Anyway, this is the weekend for changing up the offerings in the RV. I can guarantee there will be wool and wool blends in a number of weights because we need to be making those socks, hats, mitts and scarves to keep warm for what's ahead in the next few weeks/months. You will find sweater amounts in a number of  colours and weights. I will even have the pompom makers, knitting looms and other yarn tools for those who want to try something a little different.

written by Lori, happy TCL owner, who's actually looking forward to the S word because I know people will be looking to work with yarn again.

1 comment: