Monday, August 24, 2020

Where's Waldo - I mean - The Crafty Lady?

Typical phone call lately - "Hi. I've come from (insert location) to shop at your store but you've moved. Where are you now?" To which I usually reply "I'm now in a pop up store in the parking lot at The Lacombe Performing Arts Centre. Do you know where that is?" The response is either "Yeah, I know where that is" or "No, could you give me the address?" Sounds straightforward enough, doesn't it?

Let me give you some background on why the results from that conversation can vary greatly.

A number of years ago, the Lacombe Memorial Centre went through an overhaul that included taking the main room, which resembled a school gym complete with the stage that swallowed your every sound if you stood 6 feet back from the edge of the stage, and used all the modern technology available to create a sound system that would prevent that in a big, blank, divisible room. I'm not sure but I believe it is still the largest room of its type in Lacombe that allows for performances to take place.

LMC

The expansive lawn that you see in front of the building has been used by LPAC for their Music in the Park summer series for a number of years already. (Sadly COVID cancelled it this year.) Whenever threatened by inclement weather, the performance would move indoors, not into the LMC but into the sanctuary of St. Andrew's United Church across the parking lot north of the LMC.

St. Andrew's United Church

Why? Those who worship, and truly pay attention to the sounds in a service, know that a traditionally built church is accoustically built. Built before electronic sound systems. Built to maximize the human voice and non-electric instruments. While it serves for a static performance such as a live band or choir, it does not allow for active performances (dance).

Much more recently, St Stephen’s Catholic Church underwent more than just an overhaul. It was completely demolished and rebuilt so that its sanctuary could also be used as a performance hall, complete with a sound system that either rivals, or is better than, the one at the LMC.

St Stephen’s Catholic Church

I have been a member of the board of directors of LPAC since the acronym stood for Lacombe Performing Arts Committee - a group of citizens who wanted a permanent home for performing arts in Lacombe. We needed a space for both static and active performances - one that would have the acoustic qualities of a traditional church and the space for a dance performance and still have room for spectators. A building that is easily accessible and with ample parking for performances. Enter the building at 5227 C & E Trail, now known as the Lacombe Performing Arts Centre.

LPAC

So why did I take you on a 'recent history' tour of these buildings? These are some of the responses that I have experienced in the five weeks that I have called the LPAC parking lot my home away from home.

From those who said they knew where they were going -

on the phone "But I'm at the LMC parking lot and you're not here."

"But you're in the wrong parking lot." as they walk over from the St. Stephen's parking lot.


From those who took down the address and almost made it -

on the phone "Yes, I can see the big bold lettering ... oh, in the parking lot to the east."


Our town has some wonderful places for performances of all types and sizes and they are all so close together I guess I can't really fault anyone for the confusion. This blog post is just here to help sort out the confusion.

And here you see my pop up store in the Lacombe Performing Arts Centre parking lot where you'll find me every weekday 10am until 4pm except this Wednesday, August 26. Every once in a while even the most dedicated of us needs to take a personal day. This is mine.

written by Lori, amused TCL owner, who has been told on numerous occasions that I need to write a book of anecdotes related to the store. I think that's what I'm doing here. 😏


2 comments:

  1. Lori, your blog posts are getting better and better. I remember when you said you couldn't write, and left the blog posting to Anna, Helen Anne and me. Let's just say, you don't need us to do this for you now. That means we can sit back and enjoy our yarn-craft...and visit you when we need stash enhancement! Happy Trails!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw shucks. Wait ... Does that mean you were holding your breath waiting to be asked to guest post? Just kidding. Or am I? ;)

      Delete