Monday, August 10, 2020

Designing

 Sometimes in the pop up store, between customers, I get lost in designing. Sometimes it's a knitting or crochet pattern I'm working on. Other times, it's a newer, better way to display or store the product in the RV. Whichever it is, there are times I almost miss the sound of a vehicle pulling up outside. Almost.

One day last week, during the torrential downpour, I figured I probably wouldn't have any customers but, to paraphrase Field of Dreams - "If I park it, they will come." There is no point having a permanent parking place for people to find the store and then just randomly not show up one day. Nevertheless, I hunkered down in my spot at LPAC, set up my little table and chair in the 'showroom' and proceeded to write out the newest incarnation of the pattern I'm working on. (I am on version number three 'cos I keep tweaking it. Still haven't completed a single sweater even though I have been more than halfway through at least five times. To be honest, I've lost count.) I hadn't noticed that the rain had all but subsided, but I did hear the sound of tires on wet gravel. Did I tell you that I can tear down my workspace in 30 seconds flat? Even store it away in the shower before a customer makes it to the door!

My only customer of the day made her purchase and, before leaving, commented on the amount of storage potential I had over the cab. Now I am blessed with a mind that can visually manipulate spaces prior to actually measuring, etc. and had envisioned a number of different storage scenarios above the cab utilizing things I already had from the brick and mortar store. But she mentioned Ikea. I've also thought of Ikea products but I've also seen the prices of some of their designer storage containers. She left and I whipped out my handy dandy phone and pulled up my Ikea app. Don't judge me, I know you have it on your phone too. đŸ˜‰

I immediately abandoned my pattern, grabbed the measuring tape and started searching storage solutions. I don't think I will do it any time soon, but I think I found a really inexpensive solution from Ikea to put almost ALL my product in the RV. I'm not sure the motorhome could handle that much weight but it would fit!

Thankfully my Fitbit encourages me at 10 minutes to every hour to go for however many steps it would take to make 250 steps that hour otherwise I would have been sitting designing long into the evening (or until Mom called to find out why I'm not home for supper). So I packed up and headed home.

written by Lori, TCL owner who is thankful the yarn offerings don't change until next week, so I have a little more time for designing this week.


No comments:

Post a Comment