Monday, October 25, 2021

Things To Look Forward To


I know, I know. As a retired teacher (of the Language Arts variety) I should know better than to end a sentence with a preposition but would you have read beyond the title if it had read ‘Things About Which To Look Forward’?

During the market season, many of you saw me starting (and sometimes even finishing!!!) some projects. Many of them were simply updates of current patterns with new yarns. A few, however, were some of those 5000+ patterns that have been swirling around in my brain trying desperately to come out. I have no definite timeline as to when the patterns will be available but if the shuttle bus buildout is delayed much longer, it may be sooner rather than later! FYI one pattern that was a bust (pun intended) was my cotton bralette with built in boob sweat ‘panels’. Every woman is built differently so a pattern for a fitted one like I was trying to create is impossible. You’re on your own for that one but I will share mine when I am finally successful. It can at least give you a jump off point for creating your own.

The most anticipated pattern is a crocheted version of my One Seam Sweater. The original knit pattern uses Aran (16 sts = 4") or Chunky (14-15 sts = 4") weight yarn. That will not be the case with the crocheted version. In order to achieve the same drape as the original pattern, this one requires Sport / DK weight yarn. So, if you loved the look of the sweaters created with James C. Brett Marble Chunky and Universal Major, you will have to find similar yarns in finer weights. Currently I have low stock on James C. Brett Baby Marble but Jawoll Magic 6 Fach and Lang Tosca Light would look great too.
Hopefully, all sizes from 3 month to adult 3X will be in one pattern (unless it gets too confusing, then it will be split in two like the originals).
The next pattern makes use of the long gradients of Estelle Yarns Rainbow Autumn. Using two balls and my favourite cast on, cast off and seaming methods, this fully reversible Feather and Fan tunic vest will fit up to a 48" bust with enough yarn to add cap sleeves if you choose. They, however, will not be part of the pattern. I'm showing both the front and the back to see if you can figure out where the seams are. I'll give you a hint: they're vertical. The curvy bottom is simply evidence that I don't block my projects before posting them 😉

The pattern that will probably be published first is still a work in progress as you can see by the photo. Moebius cowls that are truly reversible are hard to create but I managed it with this one. If you like cables but hate having to keep track of the cable needle, this four row pattern is for you! Those tiny cables are actually mock cables and there is no right side or wrong side to them. I attempted a longer version that was only about as deep as this one is so far but it was too short to be wrapped around twice and too loose to really be anything other than decorative otherwise. This one will actually keep your neck warm and only use ~125m of aran weight yarn. The sample uses Lang Yarns Mille Colori 200g and I only just now discovered when trying to create a link that this yarn has been discontinued by my supplier :( but any self striping wool blend should work nicely if you find the colour you like.

written by Lori, TCL owner, who is happy to have some time to get these projects worked on even though it is because the bigger project is on hold.

No comments:

Post a Comment