Monday, June 29, 2020

Routine? What's that?

I'm not sure how the rest of you are managing your routine so far during this time of social distancing but I know my 'normal' has definitely changed. Some of the change is positive, some negative, but most has simply become a different way of doing things.

For instance, since church services became available online, I sit and knit or crochet and drink coffee during the service. Prior to online church, only my coffee made it into the sanctuary (in a travel mug, not earthenware) and I only brought my project to work on if I was up in the choir loft playing the piano or organ. This past Sunday marked our second service with live music and I was up in the choir loft accompanied by not one but two projects - one of each - and a thermos of coffee because there were three services to allow for physical distancing with an hour to kill between them. So, the same but different.

Knit Night still exists. We don't always all make it every week but more people are able to join and from further away so I, personally, don't see a negative. I simply see it as a bonus when we are all able to meet in person again and those who want to hug, can.

I still have my business to run but instead of it being the way it used to be, it has changed permanently. Not because of Covid, but this is the route Covid would have pushed it had I not already made the decision to close the brick and mortar store. The negative was that nobody could squish the yarn for a number of months. The positive is that people are being given that opportunity again even if in small doses thanks to Farmer's Markets and the pop up store.

Margaret and Anne (and Anna and Barb, ...) can attest to how often I would rearrange the store to create more efficient use of space. Now I get to do it every single week in the RV so that my customers get to enjoy new product to mull over each week when I make my way to the market(s). I'm on a couple of waiting lists so keep your fingers crossed. I will be happy when I am doing enough markets that I actually have to start taking my foldout mattress and bedding (and food) with me. Road trip!

So, yes, my normal has changed. For those of you out there that don't like the phrase 'new normal' I get it. I still believe that the wearing of masks and physical distancing are simply the 'current normal' and will continue to change over time. But most of my new normal is of my own making so I'm embracing the new normal and I hope that you have embraced your new normal too.

written by Lori, happy TCL owner, who sees her new normal as one big adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment